What is WhatsApp Web?
WhatsApp Web allows you to send and receive WhatsApp messages online on your Desktop PC or Tablet. WhatsApp Web is the browser-based PC client of WhatsApp messenger. It is not another account but the same account on a web browser and you are simply accessing the same account on these two devices.
WhatsApp Web has the same functionality as the WhatsApp on your mobile phone and you can instantly send and receive messages through WhatsApp Web. All the messages of your WhatsApp account are synced across and you can see all of the messages on both of the devices. Any message that you send via WhatsApp Web will also be available on WhatsApp on your mobile phone. WhatsApp Web is available for most of the Android and iOS Smartphones.
Features of WhatsApp Web
The features of Whatsapp Web are as follows:-
Texts or messaging: By using Whatsapp Web, users can message their contacts with ease. You only require an internet connection on both laptop and smartphone to send messages on Whatsapp Web.
Group chats: On Whatsapp Web, you can make groups of up to 256 people with whom you can share messages and media files. You can also customize notifications for the group along with naming and muting it.
Complete security: Every message and/ or media you send on Whatsapp Web is end-to-end encrypted and secured. Only you and the person you are communicating with can access the chats and media and no other in between. Even Whatsapp cannot read them.
Media Sharing: Just like the mobile application of Whatsapp, you can share photos, videos, documents, audio and more on Whatsapp Web.
How to use WhatsApp Web on PC?
Using WhatsApp Web is an easy thing, but for some people who have no idea about how it works may not know about it. You can follow this quick guide to learn how to use WhatsApp Web on PC. Keep in mind that your mobile phone needs to be actively connected to the internet for WhatsApp Web to work.
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile device.
- Tap on the Settings Icon and open WhatsApp Web/Desktop.
- Now, open web.whatsapp.com on a web browser on your PC.
- Scan the on-screen QR Code using the WhatsApp Scanner from your mobile phone.
- As you scan the QR Code, your WhatsApp account will be now accessible through your PC.
- All the messages will be synced across and anything that you do one device will be applicable to both.
How to logout from WhatsApp Web?
Once you are done using WhatsApp Web, you may want to logout from WhatsApp because it is not safe to have your WhatsApp Account opened on the PC when you are not using it. You can follow this guide to learn how to logout from WhatsApp Web.
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile device.
- Tap on the Settings Icon (gear icon at the bottom-right side of the screen)
- Tap on WhatsApp Web/Desktop.
- It will show all the active sessions there. Scroll and tap on Log out from all devices.
- Confirm by tapping on Log Out.
- You have now logged out from all the active sessions.
Alternatively you can directly logout from Web simply clicking on Menu icon (3 dots at the upper-left side of the screen) > Log out.
Downloading and Installing WhatsApp Desktop
1. First, navigate to https://www.whatsapp.com/download
2. Choose either the Download for Windows (64-bit) option or Download for Mac OS X 10.0 and higher option. For this walk-through, we’ll be using a Windows PC.
3. A download will begin. Once it’s finished, open the .exe file by simply clicking on it. This will initiate set up of the app. This may take a few moments.
4. A similar screen as the one to connect to the WhatsApp Web app will appear, only this will be a window running from an application on the PC rather than in a browser window.
5. Once again, open your mobile app > navigate to Menu (for Android) or Settings (for iOS), and select WhatsApp Web/Desktop. Scan the QR code and the WhatsApp desktop application will open.
The interface is very similar to the browser interface, though the desktop application has a few key features that are not supported in WhatsApp Web.
For example, the WhatsApp keyboard shortcuts are only available in the desktop application. Otherwise, functionality is pretty much identical to the WhatsApp Web app.
What is WhatsApp Web and Desktop?
Whatsapp Web and Desktop are the two ways which allow you to use Whatsapp on your computer, PC or laptop.
They serve as an extension of your Whatsapp account which you use on your mobile phone.
The extensions sync your messages on your phone and computer.
Whatsapp Web: It is a browser-based application which can be used on web browsers on computers
Whatsapp Desktop: it an application which you can download to use Whatsapp on your computer or laptop
WhatsApp Web vs. WhatsApp App
The WhatsApp Web and desktop applications serve a unique purpose. Being able to type on PC keyboard rather than a mobile device can be preferable, especially for anyone using the application for business purposes. It’s a great tool for sending files and images from your desktop as well. And it can allow you to seamlessly transition between a chat and other projects on your PC, rather than opening the app on a mobile device.
But the mobile app does have a few additional features that the desktop and web applications don’t support which make it preferable in some situations.
- One key feature on the mobile app that the other versions are missing is the ability to change your status (which we’ll discuss in more detail later on).
- Moreover, the web and desktop apps do not support voice calls or video calls, so that’s something to keep in mind.
All in all, choosing between mobile or PC applications really just depends on what your needs are. And oftentimes utilizing both to meet the needs of various situations is best.